Startseite und Blog

More power on the saildrive?

For 10 years now we have been sailing with a 2 blade folding propeller on the Saildrive and a Volvo Penta 2003 with 28 hp and every now and then I have wished for more power on the propeller in certain situations. Find here a report about the change from a 2 blade to a 3 blade Saildrive folding propeller.

Internet on board

Please find here a field report on Internet on board (near shore) based on WiFi and mobile radio.

Low Budget Gangway

In summer we often lie “Roman Catholic” with the stern to the pier or bridge, if it fits halfway. Stepping over presented us with certain challenges due to the negative transom. To remedy this, we built a simple gangway that is halfway respectable, easy to handle and allows comfortable stepping over.

The basis is a simple 2.40 m long aluminium ladder from the DIY store. On one side of the rungs I screwed 10 mm thick plastic planks – also from the DIY store. At the upper and lower ends I inserted 12 mm threaded rods between the rails and put simple wheels on the threaded ends. On the shore side, the gangway lies on the wheels and simply rolls freely back and forth according to the ship’s movements.

At the on-board end, I pushed a piece of 25 mm stainless steel pipe over the threaded rod and a rubber hose. Attached to this is a corresponding T-piece that takes a short piece of stainless steel pipe for the bracket.

This means that the gangway can be deployed in just a few steps after mooring and can also be retrieved before casting off.

Material requirements and costs are kept within reasonable limits:

MaterialPreis ca.
1 Aluminium Leiter ca. 2,50 m          40,00 €
1 Gewindestab 12 mm Edelstahl            6,00 €
1 Stück Gartenschlauch 
1 Edelstahl Rohr 25 mm          20,00 €
4 Stoppmuttern + U-Scheiben 12 mm Edelstahl            4,00 €
T-Verbinder für 25 mm Rohr Edelstahl          16,00 €
40 Senkkopfschrauben 5 x 20 Edelstahl            4,00 €
4 Rollen, Vollgummi oder Polyamid          20,00 €
4 x 2m PVC Fußleisten für den Aussenbereich          24,00 €
 Summe:       134,00 €

Cleaning bronze propeller

Every year in winter it’s the same: either you ignore the propeller, which is soiled with lime and algae growth, or you clean it laboriously. All methods, mechanical or chemical, that I have tried so far have been unsatisfactory and tedious. This winter I tried it with simple vinegar essence (20%) and the result amazed me. Here is a short video about it.

Timezero Navigator connected to Furuno DRS4D-NXT

Please find here an user experience report about Timezero Navigator connected to Furuno DRS4D-NXT.

New stern stairway

A venture in stainless steel and teak:

A report from the idea to the realization.

Experience report Oxley Bora Parasailor

Please find here an experience report about first steps with the downwind sail Bora von Oxley on a 39′ sailingyacht.

Experience report about LiFePo battery LIX200

Please find here the report “Wattstunde” LiFePo Yachtbatterie mit 200 Ah

Timezero Naviagator user experience

Please find here an user experience report about Timezero Navigator mit C-MAP Vector charts.

Experience report EFOY Comfort 140 fuel cell

Pleas find here a short experience report about EFOY Comfort 140 fuel cell used since summer 2019 on a 39 ‘ sailingyacht.